Should You Spay and Neuter Your Pets in Round Lake, IL?
When You Should Spay and Neuter Your Pets
Cats and dogs can be spayed and/or neutered at approximately six months old. While it may seem natural to allow your animal to remain intact, their reproductive organs can cause various health problems as they grow. Spaying and neutering when your pet is under a year old can help them avoid certain issues later and even extend their lifespan.
You have the final say regarding your pet's needs. Your veterinarian will provide you with ample information about spaying and neutering and what to expect from the procedure. Still, if you have misgivings, we want to know so we can help you. Your pet's safety is our main concern.
How Does Spaying and Neutering Keep Pets Healthy?
There are several ways that spay and neuter surgeries can improve health and prevent future problems:
- Prevents heat cycle from occurring
- Can prevent certain behaviors (such as roaming and in the case of cats, loud caterwauling)
- Reduces potential for breast cancer development
- Prevents cancer in the ovaries
- Prevents pyometra, a potentially-fatal infection of the uterus
- Can reduce or even prevent aggression
- May also reduce or prevent inappropriate mounting behaviors and roaming
- Reduces potential for prostate issues and breast cancer development
- Prevents testicular tumors
Are the Surgeries Safe?
Our team works very hard to make sure that every spay and neuter surgery is performed under the safest possible conditions. From anesthesia to full monitoring by a knowledgeable technician, we take every opportunity to reduce risks. For more information about our safety protocols and spay/neuter services, please call us at (847) 270-0880!