Sometimes a physical exam is not enough to help us confirm your pet’s health or diagnose an illness. To better understand how their systems are functioning, we need to use more detailed methods to find answers. Companion Animal Hospital of Round Lake proudly offers in-house laboratory testing services, along with an efficient, high-quality cat and dog X-ray. These tools enable us to see “inside” without resorting to surgery or some other invasive measure.
Diagnostics are important for both healthy and sick pets. Annual fecal checks and heartworm tests help to confirm that healthy pets are still parasite-free. Furthermore, blood testing and/or X-rays allow us to more precisely diagnose a pet’s acute or chronic illness.
IN-HOUSE LAB TESTING FOR PETS
To run a test in house for your pet, all we need to do is obtain a proper blood, urine, fecal or tissue sample. Our veterinarians and technicians work together to prepare samples, run tests and interpret results. Some tests we can provide in house include:
- Lyme and other tick-borne diseases
- Blood chemistry
- Fecal testing (for intestinal parasites)
- Serum testing
- Tissue biopsy
A major benefit of our in-house testing lab is our ability to get results and diagnose conditions relatively quickly. This is especially important for pets that require urgent treatment.
DIGITAL X-RAYS FOR CATS AND DOGS
Digital X-ray has many advantages over traditional film X-ray:
- It requires no film, developer or fixer
- No need to place film into trays in a dark room
- Images are sharper and clearer
- Less radiation is required
- X-rays can be retaken quickly
- Images can be saved onto a computer and emailed out to other doctors as needed
- Pets can spend less time being positioned and more time with their owners
Cat & dog x-ray is an important tool for viewing the bones and checking the GI tract for foreign bodies. We can diagnose bone fractures, arthritis, hip and elbow dysplasia, tumors and fluid in the lungs, to name a few.